Saturday, November 10, 2012

Us Two

I've been a Winnie the Pooh fan my whole life.  A quick look around my social media profiles and you'll figure that out pretty quick.  As a little girl, to go to sleep (which was very difficult as a child, extremely easy now) I would listen to Disney story albums.  For those youngsters in the crowd, these circular pieces of plastic would spin and play music and tell stories.  Think of it as a very big iPod.  One of my favorite albums was Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree.  Poor Pooh would get stuck every time trying to get to the honey.  I believe my Mom had it memorized.

To this day I still love Pooh.  I have books of quotes that my Mom gave me and the simple wisdom of that silly ole bear is priceless.  As I was surfing the Internet, I came across one of the poems A. A. Milne wrote about Pooh.  Here are the closing verses...

"Let's frighten the dragons," I said to Pooh
"That's right" said Pooh to me
"I'm not afraid" I said to Pooh
And I held his paw and I shouted "Shoo
Silly ole dragons" and off they flew.

"I wasn't afraid" said Pooh, said he,
"I'm never afraid with you."

So wherever I am, there's always Pooh
There's always Pooh and me,
"What would I do?" I said to Pooh
"If it wasn't for you" and Pooh said "True
It isn't much for One, but Two
Can stick together" says Pooh, says he
"That's how it is" says Pooh

I've never read the poetry by Milne, but I'm happy I stumbled across this one.  It shows me why I've always loved Pooh...because he taught me the value of friendship so true...the value of not one, but two.

No comments: