Tuesday, November 06, 2012

I Am Woman, Hear Me Vote

On this bright, crisp morning I headed to my voting location to exercise my right to vote.  This is a privilege that my gender has only had for the last 92 years in this country.  That's not a long time in the grand scheme of things.  The freedoms I have are many times overlooked and taken for granted.

I won't pontificate in this post on political rants because, frankly, I'm tired of the debates.  It appears today's biggest race - the presidential election - will be a photo finish as all the polls predict a dead heat.  I even talked to one of our company's partners in the UK and our election excitement is all over the news there.  Being the leading nation in the free world gets you that kind of press.

What I will ruminate on are my reflections from a female voter.  I'm a single, career woman who is successful in my job.  But my demographic and my viewpoints blow most Gallup Polls' trends.  I support the unborn.  I don't endorse those that think I have the right to take a life of a child.  I don't stand with those women who say "This is my body, I have a choice."  Quite the opposite, my body is the temple of the Lord.  Being a human being that a couple waited 18 years to conceive makes it unfathomable for me that any woman would deny the right to life of a child that, if the mother doesn't want, there are hundreds of other women who would kill to raise that child.  Pun intended.  

If someone were to ask me the age old question, "Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?" I would say a resounding yes.  My salary has increased, I've been able to pay off my debt and I'm living much more comfortably financially than I did 4 years ago.  This not only allows me to enjoy some extra things, but to support others financially I couldn't do before.  I also have some of the best health insurance coverage I've ever had....and all free to me as a single person through my employer.  Yes, I'm better off.  But many aren't.  And I believe my successes are not from the hands of a wonderfully-ran government, but from the Hand of my Father above.  If I depended on my provision solely from the government's decisions, I'd never sleep at night.  Sure, I'm concerned about universal healthcare and the fact that I may never have the benefit of social security, but I rest in knowing that the One who sits on the Highest Throne in the universe has already won the victory.  No matter who holds the keys as the leader of the free world, I know that nothing happens outside of the One that Holds the world in His Hands.

I pray that the men and women who are elected will make wise decisions in their very critical roles, and rest in the fact that He who is Sovereign is still on the Throne.

No comments: