Sunday, November 18, 2012

Is Falling in Love a Myth?

I recently had a conversation with some friends about love...finding the one you will spend the rest of your life with.  One of the participants - a man who will remain nameless to protect his identity - said he did not believe in "falling in love" which made the bristles of this romantic soul rise.

Though he did believe in a spark, he wasn't a believer in "falling in love."  What really does that mean?   And where did it come from?  My research came up somewhat inconclusive, though its first usage was recorded as a colloquial phrase on 1423.  I love the idea of "falling" for someone.  That helpless feeling of having no control and just going with the soaring emotions welling up inside you.  Being a lover or origins, though, it concerned me that there wasn't some beautiful story about two star-crossed lovers from the Middle Ages where the woman was about to fall off a cliff after losing her supposed only love when her true soul mate caught her and not only saved her life, but she "fell" in his love.  Now that's the origin I was looking for.

After further searching, I found a disturbing possible origin of the phrase.  One person associated it with the fall of man in the Garden of Eden.  Adam and Eve "fell" due to their love of self-wisdom and not in love with their Creator who provided them a perfect place to dwell.  Gee thanks, Adam and Eve.

Falling in love may not be an accurate description of the rising feeling of love, so I may be more careful in its usage.  But I refuse to abandon using "I'm head over heels in love."

No comments: