Thursday, May 10, 2007

American (yawn) Idol

This time last year, I was posting feverishly about the latest happenings on American Idol. This year, I'm watching it, and voting, but just a bit underwhelmed by the contestants. The final 3 all have great voices, but for some reason, the personalities are lacking. Last year's group included the bald and bold rocker, Daughtry, the southern belle whose ringer was a little off, Kelly Pickler, the country bumpkin, Bucky Covington, the sweet young gal with a musical legacy, Paris "Princess P," the gal with McPheever, Katherine, and the Joe Cocker Soul Patrol Captain, winner Taylor Hicks. This year we have...um....oh yeah...that beatbox guy, Blake. And, um....some Navy dude right? Oh, and San-I-can't-sing-a-lick-jaya, the only real crazy personality of the season. Of the final four, only one (Jordan) isn't an only child. Maybe that's why the others have a more subdued personality. I can say that because I'm an only child, although a bit more outgoing than most.

Now we're down to three and I actually like all three of these folks and would be happy if any of them won. I just don't see a future Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood in this bunch. So, since the season is coming to a close, I thought I'd give my two cents...

Jordan Sparks - I really like her spunk and bright personality. For a 17-year-old, she can blow. Out of the three, she has the most promise to be a "celebrity" because of her talent, looks, and her personality. She's young, so she doesn't need the title to make it big.

Melinda Doolittle - She is as consistent as the sun rising. I don't think she's really ever had a bad week. And, being a "BGV" (background vocalist for those of you not in the biz), she's had the experience of performance, albeit in the background. Her one downfall? Not much personality. It could be her life behind the scenes, but I'd love her to bubble up just once, and spill over. I think she'd pass out if Simon kissed her.

Blake Lewis - Good ole Beatbox Blake. He's unique and different and proud of it. I like that in a contestant - shoot, I like that in a person. I just am a bit worried that if he wins, he'll have a path similar to Taylor Hicks' road. Taylor was a fun performer to watch, but not someone who I'd dial up on my iPod to listen to on a regular basis. The concert folks make the money, but the music sales fall short. I like him though, and he's the only man standing.

Who do I think will win? It all depends on the upcoming week's theme. Whoever goes above and beyond their prior performances will most likely rise to the top. You know, maybe that's why Sanjaya got so many votes....he was the only contestant with a personality that stood out. Makes you wonder if this is a singing competition or a personality contest. I'd argue, it's both.

9 comments:

Denny Burk said...

I second that yawn!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you, Rose! Adam and I both agree that it has been pretty much a bore. I, too, would be happy if any of them won, but I don't really care. :)

Sunny said...

Only one who captured my interest this year was Sanjaya. He wasn't afraid of standing out and making waves.

Liz Lockwood said...

My vote is for Melinda - although I too, am afraid that if she wins, her last name will be indiciative of her future career.

Anonymous said...

Yawn is exactly right! I really like Melinda, but I think it is Jordan's to lose. I find Blake to be interesting, but the novelty might wear off quickly in a recording career. Oh! I'm also sick of the judges complaining about the lackluster candidates this year - they put them through!!! end of rant.

bcl said...

If I watched it this season I would go for Melinda because she went to college with my associate worship pastor and I know she's a Christian...otherwise, I gave up on watching after like the first season :).

RosieBoo said...

It's great to see that I'm not alone in my feelings. :) If AI could figure out how to reinvent itself like, say, Survivor, I think it wouldn't be such a yawner. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree completly! There is much more excitement on Dancing With the Stars! Now there it will be hard to pick a winner.

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE DOLITTLE IS GONE!