Monday, November 21, 2005

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Thanksgiving

This is definitely one of my favorite weeks of the year. A three-day work week, with a lot of normal activities suspended. A four-day holiday weekend full of great food, family fun, friend fellowship, and much-needed relaxation. Why can't every week be like this?

It's also the week that the Christmas celebrations are triggered - if they haven't already started. Black Friday occurs the day after Thanksgiving when retailers feel the joy of ringing cash registers and visions of profits dancing in their heads. I usually put my toe in the water that day, but don't completely dive into the madness. Last year, I was working at another job that frankly had zero liberties, including the fact that I had to work the day after Thanksgiving. That has to be illegal or at the very least immoral. Thankfully, one of my many blessings this year is the return of the four-day weekend.

As you begin to prepare for however you celebrate this Thanksgiving, take time to truly count your blessings. And, as the air gets nippier and the Christmas carols begin playing, remember the real Reason for the Season. Don't get so wrapped up in the gift buying that you miss the real gift of Jesus that is the best Christmas Present ever.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

I guess with all those sales going on, someone has to work the day after Thanksgiving. Glad it isn't me, though--I am a nut for those crazy early-bird sales!

Ours is one of the homes where Christmas celebration has already started. Strangely, I have no qualms about celebrating Christmas in tandem with Thanksgiving--they're both all-year-long holidays, in a way.

Thanks for the reminder to count our blessings! You're right--God has given us THE greatest blessing there is!

RosieBoo said...

It's pretty cool how Thanksgiving and Christmas are so close together...Christmas gives us so much to be thankful for!