Monday, August 29, 2005

Are you Ready for some Football?

My fantasy football draft was Saturday. This is my 3rd year of competing and I'm far from an expert, but I like to gloat a lot. I never understood football. For a girl, I'm very sports savvy...I'm as content watching ESPN as I am watching most any other channel. (I know, you are scratching your head wondering why I'm single, I'm with ya.) And, I enjoy learning about new sports. When I was in elementary school, I taught myself how to score tennis by simply watching non-stop tennis matches on television.

My journey into NFL Football began when I was invited to join a Yahoo! Fantasy league with co-workers 3 years ago. I'm competitive, and would be the only female, and thought, 'why not?' That first year I ended 9th out of 10 teams, with my shining victory being a defeat of a playoff contender, thwarting them from the playoffs during the last regular season game. I learned that year, "Don't trade your players all the time." As a coach, they'd have a bad week and I'd trade them off. Not much grace on my team that year.

My second year was much better and I began to understand the game of football more, making me a more effective coach. I ended the season 7th or 8th, I can't remember, but I know my record improved. I also became more interested in college football, realizing that knowing future NFL players is helpful. I also have a great friend who was patient in explaining the NFL game to me that season.

Now it's my third season, and I'm psyched! I got the first draft pick in my league, and I think I didn't do too shabby in my picks. My goal (no pun intended) is to reach the playoffs this season. Not bad for a girly girl.

3 comments:

erica said...

hey rose.... what is your schedule like this weekend?

Dana said...

My husband plays in the office pool at work. One year he was pretty high up and won a little money, but not much. LOL Good luck with your picks.

RosieBoo said...

Erica,

I've got a few things going on...what's up?

Dana,

Hopefully I'll have a good season. One of my Wide Receivers, Torry Holt, did well in a pre-season game last night! Wish your hubby good luck for me!