Monday, October 30, 2006

I'm Finally Published...Really...

I'm not normally one to shamelessly promote myself. But, pursuing a side career in writing has been a dream of mine for a long time. I've gotten my share of rejection letters or even worse, no responses at all and after a while it causes lots of discouragement....especially when you have people saying "You should try and write professionally." And, I answer, "well, I've tried" and leave it at that.

My job gives me opportunity to do some sales and marketing communication writing, which keeps my english and grammar sharp, but when you long to be a cross between Dave Barry and Erma Bombeck, you can't really work that into a sales sheet.

Back in August, I submitted an article to our local paper, The Courier-Journal. They have a Saturday Scene section that includes a column called "The Best." Each week, columns written by various people tout the joys and perks of all sorts of products and services. I'm a religious reader of that column and often pondered submitting my own piece. Finally, I did. At the time, the editor told me it would "probably" be published in October, but knowing my past track record, I wasn't holding my breath. Then, the end of September, a day or so before my birthday, I got the word it was going to appear on October 28th! I was ecstatic! Nothing else could have made me happier than if a man had dropped to one knee and proposed. In the immortal words of Mater, "I was as happy as a trailer in a tornado!" I'll receive $40 and all the fame I can stand. And, getting paid for writing constitutes my first real published piece.

My column featured Blockbuster Online, which I've praised on this blog more than once. Unfortunately, I can't link to an online article for the world to read. Only staff writers at the CJ get their articles online. But, if you are in the Louisville area and can get your hands on a copy of Saturday's paper...enjoy!

**Update** You can now view the article online by going here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose-it was a great article! Hopefully that is the first of many published pieces. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

YAH! YAH! YAH!!!! The first of many!! I'm hunting for a CJ (try finding anything Louisville related down here ugh).

Anonymous said...

Supurb Article Rosie! I am sure it is only the beginning of many more published pieces!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OOPS my finger hit a u instead of e

Anonymous said...

Rose, I was thrilled to see the article on Saturday -- it's wonderful! Congratulations, and I hope you'll write more. I've been wondering about switching to the Blockbuster service, but then I'd have to re-create my Netflix queue, which currently includes about 150 movies...

Lorie said...

Kudos! And congrats! Or does that mean the same thing...?

Katrina said...

Oh, Rose--I'm so thrilled for you! How wonderful to realize your dream! You truly have a gift, and I bet this is only the beginning. You have such a lot of insight and a God-given talent for passing it on. :D Thanks for sharing your good news!

RosieBoo said...

Thanks for everyone's sweet comments! I was very excited, and don't normally do self promotion, but this one was a milestone!!