Thursday, February 09, 2006

Hollywood is Pro Life?

Since I'm on a roll with the social issues of the day, I thought I'd touch on another hot button - abortion. The other night I was flipping channels and came across the old movie, "Look Who's Talking". The movie is the story of a single mom and the trials and tribulations of having her son, Mikey, without a father in the picture.

The movie begins at conception, which was a bit sketchy to me initially. I felt a little like I was back in high school health class watching those films about having babies. But I noticed something rather interesting about this movie the other night that I haven't noticed the ka-zillion other times I've watched it. From the very moment of conception, the voice of Mikey, Bruce Willis, begins talking. Hmm, now look who's talking....

Hollywood has got this one right. A human life begins at conception, and we walk through that experience with Mikey in this movie with all his thoughts verbalized for the world to hear. The next time a pro-choicer starts justifying the right to kill a child, buy them a copy of this DVD and tell them to get back to you. Now, if we can just get that movie playing in abortion clinic waiting rooms...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I saw that movie that beginning really surprised me. I remember thinking kind of the same thing as you.

RosieBoo said...

Yeah, it's subtle, but when it hit me, I thought, Hmmm, Hollywood IS pro-life! :)

Katrina said...

Funny, I never thought about that!

I may be an optimist, but I can't help thinking that abortion is on its way out in this country. As more and more thinking people (even those outside of the faith community) turn their thoughts to the facts, the practice of killing the unborn becomes less and less supportable. Even pro-abortionists can't agree on when life begins--any statement at all to this effect is therefore arbitrary. Medical technology can keep younger and younger babies alive outside the womb, so even the touted "age of viability" is in constant flux.

I hope I live to see the day we reject abortion the way we once rejected slavery--as a base evil.

RosieBoo said...

Wow, great insight, Katrina! Comparing abortion to slavery...let's hope we get to a point that we view it the same way.