Friday, April 30, 2010

Musings for the Week - Reorg, Road Trip and Reward

This month has flown by and I must squeeze in one more blogpost so as not to have a month with only one post...egad, that would be so wrong!

1. My company just went through its first reorg. I've been through many in my life, so it's nothing new to me. At a previous company, a reorg was quickly followed by a move about the office, but since we all just moved to a new office, hopefully that won't be the case. This change did affect me and a restructuring of my reporting hierarchy. I now report directly to the President...which, since I'm not a VP, makes me what I like to call myself..."special staff." I dotted line report to another VP that oversees the other part of my multi-tasking (read: sometimes schizophrenic) job. And, the bonus of this reorg is I will be somewhat reporting (somewhat because the person is a contractor and I can't truly report to a contractor) to a former boss of mine. No one I report to is located at my office, which is also a blast from my past..been there, done that too. When reorgs happen, they can be painful, and although the transition will be challenging to be sure, the end result should be fantastic. Amy, my former boss, (not the Thelma to my Louise, Amy) was great to work for and work with. She knows her stuff and I learned a lot from her. Working for a small company has lots of perks, but it also creates a vacuum that makes it hard to be innovative at times. After an almost two-hour call yesterday, I feel like I just got into the kayak with someone who is rowing in time with me. She may read this blog and think I'm sucking up...who me? I'll never forget when we parted ways at the last company. She was my boss and had to do my exit interview during a downsizing where she was remaining. Due to her California location, she had to do it over the phone...and got choked up. The tears from almost 10 years ago are long gone and just like the circle of life, we are back in the saddle working together again. My life is a riot.

2. I just returned from visiting friends to see a sweet girl play the lead in her high school's performance of Grease. Hayley is certainly destined to make it to Broadway with the powerful voice she has...and her theatrical skills. Sadly, she didn't get to blow the roof off with "Hopelessly Devoted" since the rights to buy the use of that song were too expensive. But, her pipes rang true on every other tune and she definitely worked it during "You're the One that I Want."...although a 17 year old "working it" seems so wrong to say. Bonus that I was able to attend the cast dinner at her request and meet all her cast family...and the boy that just asked her out. During intermission, he got down on one knee and asked her to go out with him. He's cute...and young...and better treat her right. But he has the googly eyes for her (as does she). Ahh, young love.

3. Once I return from one trip, I'm ready for another. I'm planning to visit my friends, Paige and Steve, in Alabama over Memorial Day Weekend. Due to the high prices of holiday airfare, I am jumping into Bluebelle and hitting the open road. There is something liberating about a drive down the highway jamming to my favorite tunes or listening to my favorite audiobook. I hope the weather is beautiful because that will make the drive even better. They serve at Ft. Benning Army Post with Steve as the youth pastor. A few years ago, I was able to be there over the July 4th holiday weekend and it was a blast. I have to say there are very few places I'd rather be during patriotic holidays than in the midst of those who serve our country sacrificially to give me the right to live in freedom.

4. A few weeks ago I was asked to speak at an annual women's event at a church in Knoxville. It was a blessing to get an email from a friend of mine asking me to pray about this opportunity. Her husband is pastor and she grew up at my church, where they met while he was in seminary. They are a sweet couple I haven't seen in a long time and was humbled and honored to be asked. As much as I wanted to jump and say yes without a blink of a prayer, I did give it a week to pray just to make sure it was where God was leading. After a week with no feelings of saying no, I said yes. So in September, I get the privilege of speaking to a group of women once again. The longing I had to do more speaking has manifested itself twice this year already and, if God allows, there may be more I don't even know about yet. It's the unspoken prayers like that, when answered, give me hope for all those longings yet to be fulfilled. God is always at work and His Timing is oh so perfect.

5. I've gotten two coupons in the mail recently for free Starbucks. Goodness, how blessed I am! It doesn't get much better than that unless I get coupons in the mail for free Qdoba! I'm about a week away from my next book club and, again, still haven't finished my book. Sounds like I need to use those coupons and get reading!

No comments: