Tuesday, February 28, 2006

21-Gun Salute to Fife

On Friday, February 24th, we lost a legend. Don Knotts, aka Barney Fife. Or, for you younger generation, Mr. Furley from Three's Company. I have to say that I'm beginning to feel old when I mourn the loss of one of the great comic geniuses of his time. I remember when my parents were sad when Red Skelton died, and although I knew who he was, he wasn't as familiar to me as good ole Barn.

We now will live with his memorable voice on video reruns, containing some of the greatest TV moments ever...

"Nip it in the Bud!"

"Now here at the Rock we have two rules. Memorize them until you can say them in your sleep. Rule number one: obey all rules. Rule number two: no writing on the walls."

"Dogs. All of them. If you flew a bird through here, they'd all stand up and point."

And, the melodious singing to Juanita over the phone.

Just to name a few....

TVLand has announced they will be having a prime time marathon of The Andy Griffith Show tonight starting at 8pm, and a 48-hour marathon this weekend to honor Don Knotts featuring The Andy Griffith Show and Three's Company.

One last word from our friend, Barney Fife, "Well, I guess to sum it up, you could say, there's three reasons why there's so little crime in Mayberry. There's Andy, and there's me, and [patting gun] baby makes three."

We'll miss you Barney. May your bullet continue to rest in peace.

2 comments:

SheThinker said...

I'm not afraid to admit I got a little emotional when I saw the headline on Yahoo. I haven't gotten that sad about anything related to TV since JAG went off the air last April. I honestly cried for 3 weeks straight when that happened. In fact, I'm getting a little teary eyes now...

RosieBoo said...

I agree, Rebekah....a teary moment for sure