Tuesday, February 07, 2006

You Betcha?

People never cease to amaze me. A few days ago, I stopped at a local gas/quick mart. Normally my stops there consist only of gas purchasing. With the convenience and technology of "pay at the pump," I have very little need to ever go inside the building. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I paid for gas inside. To go along with my busy lifestyle, getting "gas on the go" saves me a valuable minute or two.

There are rare occasions when I stop at these food marts to pick up a cold bottled beverage (non-alcoholic only) if I need something on the run, or to pick up chips or a 2-liter for a gathering I'm on the way to and have a need to bring things for the party. On this night a few days ago, I needed to pick up a couple of 2 liters for a dinner get together and decided to stop at the quick mart. I grabbed my 2 liters and headed to the check out - they were even on sale!

As I waited in one of the two check out lines to pay for my pop, there began the slow down, the back log - the purchasing of lottery tickets. Not me, mind you, but everybody else. I had to patiently wait while they bought their pick 3, bag o gold, or whatever else they call the gimmicky cards before I could spend my $2 for my drinks. A phenomenon I normally miss by minding my own business at the pump.

Frankly, I don't get the lottery. Let's see....originally it was going to benefit education. Right. I see how well that's going. So, now, we have a society full of people who as soon as they get off work on Fridays and cash their paychecks, they head to the nearest place to buy the ticket that will keep them from ever working again. Ok, does anybody else find this scenario a bit absurd? I work hard for my money (there's an 80's song in there somewhere) and don't intend to throw it to the wind in hopes of landing a financial windfall. The riskiest thing I have to do with my money is when I open my gas bill monthly to see how much I have to throw at that. It saddens me to see so many people putting false hope in gaining an extra buck or two. I'd guess these same people struggle from week to week to make ends meet, yet they'll blow $10 or $20 a week on a lottery ticket. Amazing.

As I left the food mart that night, I saw a man go back in as I got in my car. He had went in to cash a lottery ticket and buy more, and evidently was going back in to collect on that ticket. Talk about your obsessiveness. The next time I fill up with gas, I'll gaze into the quick mart from afar and say a prayer for someone who is putting their hope in a lottery ticket.

2 comments:

Denny Burk said...

Dear Rose,

I love reading your blog. You make interesting observations about life. Good stuff.

Luf,
Denny

RosieBoo said...

Thanks, Denny! I love to write...it's a bonus that people actual read it and enjoy it.