Friday, February 27, 2015

The Gospel According to The Dress

It's Friday and the world is a buzz about "the dress."  Is it white and gold?  Is it blue and black?  This debate literally took up a majority of the Today Show this morning and was featured in the first half hour, which is usually reserved for more pressing news items.  

I'll admit I see both, depending on the picture.  When I first saw this dress hit social media last night, I saw white and gold.  While watching the Today Show this morning, I still saw some pictures as white and gold and others as blue and black.  If this wasn't a marketing ploy for the dressmaker, they missed a grand opportunity.  I think there has been more coverage of this dress than the Oscars.  Brian Williams says it's a red dress (I kid).  

There are a couple of scientific reasons cited for this phenomenon.  First, older people's eyes are less sensitive to blue light.  This could explain why older folks see white and gold.  (No comment, people.  I see blue and black too)  The other explanation is the illumination of the digital images we see.  Depending on the lighting, some settings have a blue hue, causing the blue to look white.  Digital images, or anything not in person for that matter, can be deceiving.  

The interesting part of this debate is there is one way you can accurately identify the dress colors (sans color blindness of course).  If you see it in person.  For those who see it in person, there is no optical impediments to assessing the colors.  With no barriers between the real dress and us, there is no question the color.

I'm reminded of a verse in I Corinthians 13:12: For now we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, as I am fully known.

When I look at this dress and I see different colors, I begin to doubt my own eyes.  Is it truly white and gold?  Is it truly blue and black?  I know if it was right in front of my face, the doubts would be over.  

Some days I wonder, "Did God protect me from that?"  "Is God really listening?"  "Does God really care about me?"  I trust in faith that He is protecting me.  He is listening.  He does care.  But one day, I'll see Him face to face.  No more looking through a glass darkly.  What I know in part will be fully known.  And there will be no doubts.  

No comments: