Thursday, January 23, 2014

What Can Thaw a Frozen Heart

I'm truly over the winter cold.  I'm normally fairly content with the seasonal changes experienced here in the Ohio Valley, but this single digit/sub-zero temperature laced with snow and ice has stayed quite long enough, thank you. It dawned on me yesterday that I'd enjoy this much more if I could have a sparkly dress like Elsa in the movie Frozen and wave my hand to freeze things at will.  Or if I had Olaf by my side to make me laugh.  But, alas, neither has happened, and the closest I'll get to a sidekick named Olaf is if I get a dog and name him that one day.  

If you haven't seen Frozen yet, go.  If for no other reason than it's cold and it will make you love winter for the hour and a half you are in the warm theater.  It's another beautifully produced story by the geniuses at Disney about the two daughters of the King and Queen of Arendelle.  One, Elsa, is cursed with the ability to freeze everything she touches and is separated from her sister, Anna, to protect her from hurting Anna.  The movie is replete with endearing characters and stunning music (the soundtrack is worth the $6.99 download on iTunes).  The movie ends (spoilers ahead!) when Anna is slowly freezing and soon to freeze to death when Elsa is able to break the spell by her love for Anna.  An act of love will thaw a frozen heart.

It's a story that hails a theme we hear often ....love conquers all....love can melt the hardest heart.  As I do, I like to see Jesus in every movie I watch and this one is no exception.  Our hearts are hard, frozen.  We are born sinful and rebellious, wanting to live our own way.  But God loved us so much that He embraced us in the warm hug of Jesus' sacrificial life to soften our heart and let Him come in as ruler of our lives.  An act of love that can thaw a frozen heart.  On the coldest of days, both physically and emotionally, I know my Savior loves me.  I know He is holding me and embracing me with a love that will never let go.  That is why God is love.  He is the One who can thaw a truly frozen heart.

No comments: