Friday, September 06, 2013

Five Minutes: Red

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Red.

Ready. Set. Write.

Tonight in Cincinnati, the Reds will face the Dodgers and will honor the great Joe Morgan from the 70s squad known as "the Big Red Machine."  It's the first time all 8 of the players are back together.  I grew up cheering for the Reds and going to the games with my Dad.  Even in recent years, I'd go watch a game on television with my Dad.  I thought earlier this year that I would see if I could get tickets to the Reds and take him to a game.  He would have probably said, "Nah, we can just watch it on TV." because the thought of all that walking would have tuckered him out.  But I so wanted to get him to the new ballpark just one time.  Now he's gone and I suppose he has the best seats ever looking from above.

I sure would love it if the Reds pulled a World Championship this year, in honor of my Dad.  But even if they don't, I still love the Reds and love watching them and thinking of my Dad.  Red is a pretty amazing color.  It's the color of the Cincinnati baseball team.  It's the color of the Louisville Cardinals.  It was my Mom's favorite color.  And, it's the color that represents the blood that was shed so that I can live eternally with my Creator.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hopping over from FMF. I just saw my sister-in-law post a picture from Cincinnati. She's there for the game! I lost my dad a year and a half ago. I sympathize with your feelings. I love how one color can bring about so many stories!