Monday, July 29, 2013

Make Way for Geese

I work in an area of town where the Canadian Geese reside.  There are a lot of little lakes and water sources that draw those flying birds to the area.  I've worked in this area for the last 10 years or so and have had a lot of time to observe their behavior.

At one place of employment, we had a lake behind our building.  In front of our building was a circular drive with a large grassy area that housed our flagpoles.  It was there that our geese family resided when it was time to nest in the Spring to welcome in the new gaggle of goslings.  This was exciting and dangerous all at the same time.  Exciting because we got to witness the Momma Goose as she trained her little geese, but dangerous prior to their appearance.  The Poppa Goose would stand guard around that circular drive to ward off anyone who appeared to be a threat to his family.  Of course we were just trying to enter the door to go to work.  I dreaded dodging Poppa Goose everyday, but knew once the babies arrived, things would be better.

Needless to say, over the years, I've learned to co-habitate with these creatures.  And I've learned to appreciate them as well and be respectful when they slowly cross the street or protect their unborn little ones.

The other day I was leaving work and driving down the street where my company is located.  Very often, there are times when you have to stop and allow the geese to cross.  I presume the 25 mph speed limit on this road is partially due to the amount of geese-crossing events that occur.  I saw about 12 geese in the median and slowly making their way to cross the street so I slowed down.  There is something peaceful about letting geese take their own sweet time in crossing the street.  They have not a care in the world.  God provides for all their needs, so they just enjoy life.

As I was sitting there taking in the awesomeness of God's creatures, I realized two geese were slowly making their move.  They were still munching on the grass but realized the rest of their group had moved on.  I knew they'd be making their move to the street, so I waited, knowing if I didn't I might accidentally hit one.  In the lane next to me, those vehicles weren't as patient.  Once the first 10 crossed, the truck moved on, and then, just as the two slow geese started across the road, the car in that lane sped around at a fast speed to get on with his busy life (whatever) before those geese slowed him down.  As I watched this unfold, even I was startled, but those two geese were very startled.  I saw them abruptly stop and the poor things did the equivalent of "peeing in your pants" right in the street.  It made me want to go slug that driver.

Now, I'm not one of those tree huggers or people who care more about animals than humans, but this event taught me a lesson.  We are way too busy for our own good.  I would bet that most accidents happen because people are impatient and self-focused.  I'm certainly guilty of driving too fast and being in a hurry when just a few minutes wouldn't make a huge difference.  It's funny how witnessing two laid-back geese almost get side-swiped was revolutionary for me.  

No comments: