Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Milestones

As another year nears close to the end, it's time for me to reflect on the past year with my observations. I feel like I said "Happy 2012!", blinked and it was almost 2013. This is that feeling your parents told you about "when you get older" you'd understand. For this year's recap review, I thought I'd highlight a few milestones from the year....

I joined a new Bible study class this year that I love  - For those of you who grew up in the church, you've heard of Sunday School. Today it's called ABF (Adult Bible Fellowship) or at our church BFG (Bible Fellowship Group). Whatever you call it, I joined a new one this year. I had been praying for a long time to find the small group where I would feel connected to our larger church and this was  truly an answer to prayer. I serve at my church in a lot of ways, but needed that place where I belonged like every other church member. And God led me to it. It's a great ladies' class full of sweet women from all walks of life that, no matter where their journey has taken them, they praise The Lord. I am on a team of rotating teachers and I have an opportunity to do one if the things I love - teach. This was definitely a blessing from the year,

I saw 6 theatrical productions this year - I love the theater....the live, on stage version. If I could afford it, I would go to the theater every weekend somewhere. I saw 3 Broadway shows that came to Louisville - Mary Poppins, Wicked, and Beauty and the Beast.  And I saw 3 dinner theater productions - Dixie Swim Club, Annie, and Church Basement Ladies 2. That's one every other month, folks.  It will be hard to beat that record in 2013.

I drank the Apple juice and went to the dark side - After winning an iPad at work, I was so in love that I not only left my long-term love of Android, but my 14-year relationship with T-Mobile. I moved to AT&T to get an iPhone. It's clear why Apple is so successful....their technology just works. It's like comparing a Chevrolet to a Honda. Both can get you where you need to go, but the Honda is a whole lot more reliable and longer lasting.

I wrote 30 blog posts in 30 days - I've been blogging since 2005, soon to be 8 years. I'd always wanted to participate in the 30-day writing challenge, but always had one excuse or another. Tis year, even with my amazingly busy schedule, I decided in November to take the challenge on...and I succeeded. It was a good exercise in discipline and focused me to think about topics daily to pontificate about.  And it was a good diversion to the rest of my busy life.

I manage the most people I have ever managed in my career - Right now, I manage 13 people, soon to be 14. I list this as a milestone, not to be prideful, but to be reminded to be humble, to be constantly aware of the responsibility of leadership I've been given. This became clear when I read a yearly recap from two years ago and my team was one-fifth that size. God has brought me through some interesting days over the past two years and I pray He continues to lead me to be the servant leader He's called me to be.

No comments: