Friday, June 08, 2012

Five Minutes: Expectation

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Expectation.

Ready.  Set.  Write.

In my life in sales management, managing expectations with clients is top of mind all the time.  From proposing what we think they need and will buy, to keeping them calm along the way of their campaign when things are delivering slow or billing issues creep in.  It's a never-ending battle.

In my non-work life, I am the girl with high expectations.  I live life with big dreams and thinking everything I do will make a dent in eternity, every relationship I have will be shooting with fireworks and be life-changing and never-ending, and somehow, maybe be like Enoch in the Bible and just walk with God and one day death won't happen, I'll just go with God.

Everything in life has expectations.  And sometimes my Pollyanna attitude crumbles when my bright-eyed thoughts of what will be don't turn out that way.  Being the resilient soul that I am, I bounce back and move on to the next thing in my life with the same high expectations I've always had, never letting past disappointments tarnish my hope. 

I love the cartoon Animaniacs.  One of the characters on the show was little Mindy.  She was a sweet little clueless girl with a dog named Buttons who made sure from all her antics she didn't kill herself.  She was oblivious.  No matter the obstacles in her way, she kept on skipping along with a smile on her face and at the end of each episode, she'd reply, "Ok, I love you, buh-bye!"  That's me.  No matter the outcome of what I expect, I'll keep skipping along, smiling and saying "Ok, I love you, buh-bye!"



1 comment:

Jamie said...

I loved the Animaniacs and had totally forgotten about Mindy. Thanks for the laugh this morning.

I love that you have a resilient spirit! I have one too, but sometimes I think it got lost somewhere along the way. Then it will pop-up and I'll be fine. Funny how that works...