Friday, June 29, 2012

Five Minutes: Dance

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Dance.

Ready.  Set.  Write.

I love to dance, but I am not very good at it.  Oh, I can bust a move with the best of them, but when it comes to legitimate dancing, I'm not your Ginger Rogers of this decade.

Dancing is so freeing.  There is just something happy and energizing by a good twirl around the dance floor.  I remember my Mom dancing around in the kitchen being goofy and then stopping and grabbing her back and saying "whew, I'm getting old!"  Sometimes it was true, sometimes it was just her having fun.  I recently confessed to doing the soul train dance in the zoo parking lot years ago with friends.  The thing I love about a good soul train dance?  You are free to do whatever you want.  Google "soul train dance" and you'll find videos that prove my definition.  When you dance like nobody is watching, it's so uninhibiting.  I suspect one day I'll be dancing in Heaven because what happier place is there than that?  Plus, in Heaven, I'm sure I'll be an excellent dancer.

One day I would love to really slow dance with the man of my dreams.  Sappy and romantic, yes, but I've danced with many a man in my life...but not *the* man.  There just can't be anything more heartwarming than the embrace of the man that adores you swaying back and forth on the dance floor.  No special dance moves needed.




1 comment:

Sarah Brooks said...

Oh I am so going to have to check out Soul Train Dancing! I like rules, I don't do free dancing well. But I'd love to try it. The only slow dancing I have done with the man of my dreams was on our wedding day. He's not very free in that area either. LOL