Tuesday, March 28, 2006

My Beliefs Are Wasted on You

One of my favorite lines from the Pinky and the Brain cartoon was "My humor is wasted on you, Pinky." Well, tonight the Christian world just got the snub from the American Idol judges panel.

Mandisa, the contestant who professed her belief in Jesus when forgiving Simon for his ugly comment about her weight, busted it out tonight. For those of us who know Mandisa from her "day job", we know she sings with Travis Cottrell, the praise team leader for Beth Moore conferences and other Lifeway functions. Anyone who has seen her in action knows her signature song is "Wanna Praise You" or better known to her fans as the Shackles song - originally recorded by Mary Mary. I'll never forget the last time I saw her sing it live. Of course, I didn't know she was "Mandisa" but I knew she was awesome. Travis and his team led a concert at a Lifeway Women's Conference I attended. When they sang that song, with Mandisa singing lead, you saw about 500 women dancing in the aisles. A bit edgy for a group of Southern Baptists.

As soon as Mandisa made it to the top 24, I had hoped she would eventually bust out with that song. Tonight's theme was 21st century tunes - could tonight be the night? Sure enough it was, and the moment she announced what song, I let out a big ole Taylor Hicks "woo hoo!" She did remarkable. That song talks about the freedom we have in Christ, but in a hip hop happening way. I even got a little teary eyed knowing that Mandisa was stepping out on the Idol stage proclaiming the gospel. Wow.

Then it happened. Randy thought it wasn't the best. Paula made some weird comment about everyone becoming a member of the church of Mandisa - to which she shook her head no in humble reverance to the true Head of the Church. Simon, who I normally agree with, was sorely in error as he called her indulgent to pick a song like that. My happy face got angry real quick. Lest you don't realize life is rough on the Christian who takes a stand, you experienced it tonight, live, on American Idol. I'm proud of Mandisa. She held her head high and I'm sure had no regrets for her song choice. I'm proud that she was bold enough to pick a song that may not resonate with the judges' panel. It's a sad testimony that those three people didn't "get" the song because they haven't "got" the gospel message.

As I sit here typing this blog entry tonight, just 30 minutes into voting, the lines for Mandisa are still busy. I have yet to cast my first vote for her. That's encouraging. I hope every Christian American Idol fan out there is flooding the lines and showing the producers of Idol what America really wants. No matter what happens, Mandisa knows that the shackles are off her and she will continue to praise God....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. You said very eloquently what I was feeling as I watched this whole thing play out on the national stage.

Waywordgrrl said...

I watched this show with my mother. She LOVED that Mandisa did a christian song. She kept saying over and over, "That woman has guts!" To get up and profess Jesus like that is one thing at a christian event...completely something else on a show where you will obviously be criticized. I'm so glad that she chose the song she did!

Anonymous said...

Amen Sistah!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the Paula comment was weird. She's just really been bizarre lately...like the night she went off on Simon because he said it wasn't a dance competition...she just acts really odd sometimes. Love her hair though!! Hee-hee!

BTW---the line was probably busy because I voted about 130-150 times. Literally. I lost count at about 110...

On a side note---what is that leaning head/cheesey-smile thing that Taylor Hicks always does? I don't really care, but it bugs the snot out of my darling husband...I'll explain it to you later, but Rod likens it to a possum who's become road kill...

Okay...I'm digressing! Great blog! You pretty much summed up what all of us felt/thought/said after that performance. She is just a personifcation of grace under fire!

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous" was me...I meant to sign my name...Love you, Rose Petal! Jules

Diane Viere said...

A-absolutely----MEN!

diane

Anonymous said...

Are the rest of you as STUNNED as I am that she was voted off tonight??? I just tucked one of my kids in bed and we prayed for her to be at peace and for her family to not have bitterness as Jesus leads her down another fork in the path. You could see how shocked they (the other contestants) were. I know that she is going to be fine. I know, as does anyone with an ear, that Mandisa sings circles around pretty much everyone on that show. She will land on her feet...with her hands lifted high in praise! What a wonderful lady! What an honor that the Lord used her to witness to millions...even those who took offense to her. He is using her to convict the hearts of countless others. I am so exctied to see how He is going to bless her!!! ~Jules

RosieBoo said...

Well, everyone, I'm glad to see that you all have the same feeling about Mandisa. I've been so busy that I haven't posted lately, and now, it seems, after last night, it's time for a tribute post.