Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Missed It By That Much

In the past few months, my relationship with the post office has been dismal. Back in June, I had some mail returned, not for any error on my part, but because the post office scanned my return address instead of the delivery address. Then on Halloween, I had an unfortunate fall at the local post office while going to buy stamps. So, my postal experience hasn't been a good one lately.

A couple of weeks ago, January 11th to be exact, I mailed a bunch of bills in the mailbox outside of my office building. One of those bills included my outrageously high gas bill. A few days after that, I found out that the postage has gone up to 39 cents on January 8. From that point on, I held my breath that my bills wouldn't get returned.

I'm pretty aware of the goings on in the world. I may not watch the news, but I read the paper, and am online reading the latest updates during my day. I also keep my radio tuned on various stations while driving. None of these outlets had mentioned the exact date of the increase - just that one was coming. Also, as a person with a mailbox, the lovely US Postal Service never sent me a postcard forewarning me of the looming increase. (Unless, of course, it's lost in the mail) Note to the government - those kind of easy alerts might be helpful.

It's now January 24th and so far, no mail has been returned and my heat hasn't been turned off. Who would have thought the Post Office had such mercy and grace.

2 comments:

Erin Nicole said...

maybe the postal worker was wearing a WWJD? bracelet that day. ;)

RosieBoo said...

Maybe so. :) Whatever happened, I'm happy for the divine intervention!