Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Random Thoughts on Radio, Music, Theology and Buford

On most days I have a kabillion (one of my new favorite words) thoughts going through my head.  This has increased since the beginning of my studies for the MBA.  Given that, today's entry will be a myriad of random thoughts that are in my head right now.  Lest you be concerned, I'm not *that* transparent, so you are safe.  But for those that are still reading, here it goes....

Why do traffic updates on the radio involve the sound effects of horns and sirens?  I literally almost crash (causing yet another traffic incident) when the reports begin because I think it's someone honking and about to run me over.  A nice soothing voice singing "Traffic Update" would be better, don't you think?

As an online student at Campbellsville University, I receive all student email - when the post office will be closed, lost iPhones, road closings due to Homecoming games.  I even get the daily cafeteria menu, which makes me drool every time I read it.  I also get alerted when special musical events occur.  Just last week there was a piano duet recital that I would have loved to attend - all free of charge!  Just today I got an email that The Oak Ridge Boys are coming there on October 28.  Can I get a oom papa mow mow?!  I LOVE the Oak Ridge Boys.  As a student, tickets are half-price.  But since it's a Monday night and too far to travel, alas, I'll have to oom papa mow mow on my own.  

This past Saturday I was shopping at my local Wal-Mart neighborhood market and saw Dr. Denny Burk.  I love the Burk family!  He had just gotten back in town and was shopping for his wife...which makes him earn a kabillion husband points.  I have now deemed that grocery store as the theological destination for groceries.  I have seen Dr. Denny Burk and my pastor, Dr. Bill Cook, there on separate occasions.  This means theological discussions most likely occur in the frozen food section on a regular basis.

About a month ago, my friend, Christie and I were headed to Buford, GA, to see the Todd family.  Just the other night, we noticed a message left on my back car window.  It said "Ted is cool."  Now, that, folks, is hilarious.  Ted (of Ted and Christina fame) obviously wrote that in my car dust at some point and it's made an impression...literally.  My car has been through torrential rainstorms since that time, so clearly until I truly wash my car, it may stay there for eternity.  Once reason never to get my car washed again.  

Tomorrow would have been my Dad's 88th birthday.  I miss him terribly.  Over the past week or so, I've missed he and my Mom more than I have in a long time.  I sure wish I could go get Cracker Barrel and eat with him or watch a ballgame.  Watching college basketball this season just won't be the same.  I know he is living it up in Glory right now, but I sure miss the greatest man of my life.  

No comments: