Friday, October 18, 2013

Five Minutes: Laundry

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Laundry.

Ready. Set. Write.

I love doing laundry.  I know, I'm a geek.  I don't love folding clothes or ironing, but the whole process of laundry is something I enjoy.  I suppose since I'm single and laundering for one that makes my job less behemoth.  But even when I was living at home and doing laundry was one of my chores...and there were more people...I still enjoyed it.  
I'll also admit that the laundry aisle at the grocery is my favorite aisle.  There are two reasons for that adoration.  One, it indicates I'm just about halfway through my grocery trip which is cause for hallelujah.  And, two, I love the fresh smell of all the various detergents that waft through the aisle as I peruse all the choices of fabric softener.  

The phrase "doing laundry" has become a code phrase for my married friends when they bow out of social events early to, ahem, "do laundry" so even that phrase can conjure up laughter and giggles.

Doing laundry is a chore, but it comes with a great reward at the end.  You have fresh, clean, wonderful smelling clothes.  Or, even better, fresh, clean aromatic sheets to put on the bed.  Life is full of the dirty.  Our brains are filled with toxins, our life is filled with dirt and dust...and our hearts can be heavy carrying all that around.  Doing laundry seems one way we can refresh.  It doesn't get rid of the dirty and ugly from the world, but it does provide a "fresh start" in a sense.  Maybe I should own a laundromat.  

2 comments:

Marcy said...

I would LOVE to love laundry! But I do love the smell. And the cleanness and the freshness. But I have a family of seven right now (an extra one for the year)- so it IS behemoth!

michelle said...

Haha! This is so fun and true. The smell of clean is so good. Happy FMF!