Friday, March 08, 2013

Five Minutes: Home

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Home.

Ready. Set. Write.

I love my home.  It's nothing fancy and just the right size.  And it's my haven of rest.  Although I enjoy traveling - whether for business or pleasure - I can be quite content as, what many people call, a homebody.  As an only child, I learned from an early age how to entertain myself, and that hasn't changed into adulthood in my home.  I'm single and live alone - no pets, though I'd love a cute little dog to keep me company at times.  

The home where I grew up still stands and I love thinking back on memories of that home.  The basement was finished and where all my toys and games lived.  I even had a corner of the basement for my kitchen where I could play house.  My bedroom had knotty pine walls and just had a "homey" feel.  I spent many a day in the basement playing with my Fisher Price sets or my Barbies.  Or my Atari, which was hooked up to the family room television in the basement.  My backyard was huge!  And towards the back of the yard was the best.swingset.ever.  It had a teeter totter (that two-seater swingie thing), two individual swings, a four-seater swing, and a slide.  I would swing so high the set would "tump" out of the ground.  Even when the set was weather-worn, my Dad repainted it.  My Dad is a genius.  He painted the whole set white (it was originally multi-colored) and then masked it off and spray painted it red and it become a candy-cane swingset.  Life was good.  And I loved Home.

My home now has no backyard or swingset, but sits quietly in a very quaint community.  My home is known as the Red Rose Inn.  Where people can come and feel at home and find refuge.  The blessing of my home is something I always want to share.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

This was really great! Your home seems like a lovely place.

Unknown said...

Great article. Thanks for the post.

-DetailedPlay.com