Thursday, February 11, 2016

Snow on Robinson Mountain

After a long dry spell, I finally had reservations to return to Robinson Mountain.  For those of you who follow my blog, you know exactly where Robinson Mountain is...it's wherever my sweet friends, Mark and Sharon Robinson live.  My last visit was the summer of 2013, and with MBA studies the next two years, my travel was limited.  I knew, and felt, it was time for a return visit.

Equally as exciting was being able to visit their new home.  About a year ago, they moved from Brentwood, TN, to Gallatin, TN, to a cozy home that I was thrilled to experience.  We made plans and as providence would have it, the biggest snowstorm of the season was to hit that very weekend.  Again, as a follower of my blog, you know I'm the Jim Cantore traveler. 

As the weather forecasters kept upping the accumulation, and the treacherous conditions that would occur right down my route to Robinson Mountain, caused me to think my weekend would be a bust.  Thankfully, once I knew my travel day was going to be questionable, Sharon suggested I come down the night before to avoid the weather.  I scrambled together, packed, and off I went.  It was smooth sailing and no issues at all, and I arrived with some rain sprinkling but temperatures above freezing.

Their new home is precious!  The Robinsons would be the perfect owners of a Bed and Breakfast, because they make you feel like you are tucked away in the Von Trapp Lodge in Vermont.  Their new home has a "guest suite" area where there are two bedrooms flanking the guest bathroom.  One bedroom has twin beds for the children who visit.  My bedroom came with all the comforts of home...a lovely gift on the bed, which included a box of Nashville-favorite Goo-Goo Clusters, and a sign on the bureau that said "Free WiFi" and how to connect.  

We went to bed, knowing the snow was coming and upon waking in the morning, I found a note in the bathroom that said, "Welcome to Robinson Inn Snow Day!  No makeup and let's enjoy the day!"  Sharon worked from home that day and Mark's company had closed after the area got about 5-6 inches.  Sharon and Mark are northerners, so they chuckle at the response of snow in the south, but we enjoyed being snowed in and the snow continued to fall. Sharon keeps the birds fed, so we could watch out their glass doors as the birds hovered around the feeders to get food.  

On Saturday morning, Mark got up and shoveled the drive and walkway, and the neighbor's drive and walkway.  We ended up having Day Two snowed in and it was glorious!  We talked, read, colored (yes, Sharon and I had our adult coloring books) and ate.  Mark and Sharon cooked, and I enjoyed the fruits of their labor (pun intended).  About midday we learned church was canceled the next day and the pastor sent an outline for a family worship time.  Although I was excited to attend their new church, I was equally excited to have this sweet, special time at Robinson Inn.  Before we turned in for the evening we drank hot chocolate and watched old movies - and an episode or two of Chuck.  My kind of day.

Sunday morning worship was great!  We sang while Sharon accompanied on the piano and we looked at the life of Peter, as their church was preparing to start a new series on 1 Peter the following week.  After enjoying lunch together, I left for home around 4pm my time.  By this time, the roads were mostly clear and it was a great drive home.

We never left the house, but it was a sweet three days of quality time with two of my favorite people.  I never understand the mysteries of how God brings people together, but I'm certainly glad He brought us together.  This is a friendship that is timeless...even into eternity.  

One of my favorite places to be snowed in is with the sweet Robinsons.  I'm glad God providentially allowed for that time of seclusion together to cherish our friendship.

No comments: