Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Father Knows Best

This past weekend was the kickoff of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  For those not familiar with the activities leading up to the greatest two minutes in sports, the city of Louisville begins the celebration two weeks before the big race.  It kicks off with a boom at Thunder Over Louisville.  The largest fireworks display in the country is displayed over the Ohio River with more than half a million people gathered at the river to watch.  

My friend, Ashley, found a wonderful way to enjoy this festivity - a Steamboat Dinner Cruise to watch the fireworks.  Like me, Ashley is an only child and introvert and the thought of commiserating with thousands of people isn't appealing.  This was the perfect way to view the fireworks.  We would board at 6pm and sail at 7pm with the fireworks at 9:30pm.  We were excited.  Until Wednesday prior to the event.  Due to the water levels from all the rain we've received, the steamboat couldn't make it to the port in Indiana, so the cruise was canceled.  We were quite bummed but moved on to Plan B.  

Plan B was to see the Cinderella feature film and dinner after.  Knowing my love of Cinderella, this was a wonderful Plan B in my book.  We did see the movie (which I adored!) and enjoyed some yummy food at Red Robin, back in time to watch the fireworks on TV.  

Do you ever ask God why He allows things to happen (or not happen) in your life?  I certainly do.  Things that occur and I think "what!?!" and sometimes later on I realize His Protective Hand on me or see the bigger reasons why something did or didn't happen.  When those times never come with an answer, that's when my faith must grow to trust God.  But, God does sometimes provide those answers to help me trust Him when He is silent in other situations.

I mentioned the cruise was canceled on Wednesday.  Thursday night when I came home from work I felt awful.  I thought it was allergies or maybe the start of a Spring cold.  But I felt tired, listless and began to feel feverish.  I took two Tylenol and couldn't wait to crawl into bed.  Especially when I took my temperature and it was 100.  I had a feeling I knew what was going on.  The heel of my right foot was tender to the touch and was red and warm.  I was getting cellulitis.  For those who do not know what that is, the simple answer is a bacterial infection of the skin.  Because my immune system is suppressed due to the medicines I'm on, I'm highly susceptible to this and have had it before.  It's very easily treated, but if you don't catch it quick enough, it can spread and require hospitalization.  I called the doctor the next morning, got in to see him, got antibiotics and felt like I'd dodged a hospital bullet.  Part of the recovery is not to overdo it and be on my foot too much and keep it propped up as much as possible.  I did and after my check up yesterday, I'm on the mend.  

All of these colliding events show me that Father knows best.  Though I was bummed I didn't get to see fireworks on the Ohio aboard a steamboat, God knew better that I didn't need to be up and on my foot that much.  He protected me.  Watching a movie in a theater was much less "activity" and allowed me to get the rest I needed.  Though every situation like this will not come with a lovely answer as to the "why," I am grateful that God gives me enough of these answers to keep trusting Him even in His Silence. 

No comments: