Friday, November 29, 2013

The Best Chicken Pot Pie

I have made quite a few Chicken Pot Pies in my life and never quite found a recipe I truly loved.  "Loved" would equate to a dish that is as good or better as leftovers, because as a single gal, you gotta love leftovers.

One of my friends posted a picture of a pot pie her husband made (not this picture) on Facebook.  In the comments she listed the recipe - which you know is easy if you can list it in the comments section.  She affectionately calls her husband, Homer, so this is "Homer's Chicken Pot Pie" and I decided to try it.  The photo here is a shot of my version.  Please note the decorative crust art.  That's called "La Cover Le Hole."  For those who might like to try it yourself, the recipe is below.  With Thanksgiving just completed, you can substitute your leftover turkey instead of chicken.  The cheese part was my touch, but the rest is all Homer.  I absolutely love this recipe.  The leftovers are as good as the fresh hot pie.  

You'll need:

Refrigerated pie crust (two for the top and bottom)
2 medium cans of chunk white chicken breast, drained (I used the Wal-Mart brand)
1 can of Veg-All, drained (I also used the Wal-Mart brand)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 cup of cubed cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of milk
Salt and Pepper to taste (I just used pepper)

Mix the chicken, veg-all, soup, cheddar cheese and milk together.  Place the pie crust bottom of your pie plate and then fill with your mixture.  Cover with the second pie crust. (And decorate the top as your creativity directs) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes - 1 hour.  Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

Voila!

No comments: