Friday, September 14, 2012

Five Minutes: Focus

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Focus.
Ready. Set. Write.

The more technology in my life, the less I focus.  You would think with the advanced tools we have we'd accomplish more in much less time.  Although sometimes that is true, it has just made me more ADD and quite distracted.  Let's take work for example.  I have two instant messaging platforms I'm logged into at all times....wait, three, if you count the one connected to in our CRM.  My email notifier pops up on my screen in the bottom right hand corner when mail arrives, which is about every 5 minutes (or less.)  My phone rings and the caller ID pops up on my computer screen.  I keep my cell phone tucked away at work and only look at it periodically in my day or I'd have those bells and whistles dragging me away.

This week has been a busy one, but at the end of the day on Friday, I'm thankful that I accomplished most all I needed to this week.  When I left yesterday I was exhausted and literally fell asleep with my phone in my hand playing a round of Hanging with Friends.  This morning I was able to spend some quality time in the Word and in prayer and it was so refreshing.  One of the lessons learned was keeping Jesus on the throne of my heart...not any other thing...not a possible husband (that I long for)....not a job...not anything, but Him.  Ahh, the focus that comes from a wise and simple lesson such as that.  May I keep my focus on what is eternal, not temporal...and may I keep my focus always on Him.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Enjoyed this post.

Libby said...

Waving hello from the FMF crowd! I hear you with all the technology running. They can be great tools and it's also great to just set them down on a regular basis too.