Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Three Signs It's Time for A Vacation

I'm counting down the hours before my vacation and I have to confess I'm a bit giddy.  This is the first "real" vacation I've had for quite some time and I am sorely overdue.  My friend, Christie, and I are heading to visit Chad and Tracy, and the precious Allison and Logan in the great state of Georgia.  This has been an annual trek until last year when they were moving to a new city, so I'm really excited to resume our annual tradition.  Tracy will be anxiously awaiting my blog post upon our return.  The pressure gets greater for hilarious content after every trip.

Although I'll be checking in on work daily, the break is beyond needed.  How do I know?  Let me share three signs of why I know it's time for a vacation...

1.  It's been over a year since my last one. - Our offices shut down between Christmas and New Year's, so that was somewhat of a vacation, but not officially.  Our company was acquired the end of last August and this year has been a complete whirlwind.  Even more reason that a vacation is sorely needed.

2.  Things are going from hilarious to plain sad. - I normally find hilarity in most all situations and that helps me cope with the chaos of most days.  Yesterday, I had a moment that went from hilarious to just plain redonculous.  I got an email forwarded from a co-worker, entitled "Notes from the "Too-Much-Time-On-Hands" Department".  It read....

"The masthead on the your newsletter has a coffee cup that has the handle pointing the wrong way. Even if you're left-handed (only a very small percentage of the population is), the cup is on the right side, and it would be natural to pick it up with the right hand, therefore the handle should be on the right side, not the left. As depicted, it isn't my coffee cup but someone else's."

Cue the crickets.

Folks, there are days I don't know whether to laugh or weep for the future.

3.  I'm having dementia moments. - Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a verbatim brain and never lose things or misplace items.  I take pride in that.  But evidently when I left work last night, I left my wallet sitting.on.my.desk.at.work.  Even sadder, I didn't realize this until I was driving to work today and was pulling out my wallet to pay for some oatmeal in the drive-thru.  Thankfully I had enough in my purse to pay, but a panic set in about where my wallet was and why I hadn't missed it until now.  I'd driven around last night and this morning without a driver's license.  My guardian angels clearly works overtime.  I prayed on the way in that it would be safely sitting on my desk, still intact with all the contents....and it was.  Thank you, Jesus.  But clearly, I need a break.

I'm hoping this vacation will restore my sanity...well, part of it. 

No comments: