Friday, August 10, 2012

Five Minutes: Connect

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Connect.

Ready.  Set.  Write.

I find myself way too connected.  I never go very far without my smartphone as an additional appendage.  That device allows me to make calls (ahh, the days when that's all it could do), check email, text, browse the Internet, get directions, play music, Pin things, find movie times, play games (YES!)...and the list goes on and on.  This tecnology keeps me extremely connected to my worklife as well since my work email populates via my smartphone.  And, even today, I have a conference call after hours (way after hours for a Friday, my friends) that I'll have the flexibility to attend thanks to my smartphone and my connected headset as I'm on the go.

Most days I love this because as a single gal, I don't feel like I'd ever be lost as long as I had my charged-up smartphone.  But other days, it's wearing.  Disconnecting is tough, yet, oh so refreshing. 

I find that all this technology is great, but I need time to connect with my Savior.  I've come to realize of late how easily we can be distracted (SQUIRREL!) and take our eyes off Christ.  I want to be content and satisfied in Him, and for that to happen, I must stay connected to the true Power Source.

Each night before I go to bed, I now use that technological device to read Scripture, devotions and help me close my eyes with my view on the Lord.  Even that which can be a distracting deterrant can be leveraged for good. 




2 comments:

Denise said...

Good writing.

Ashley said...

Hi there. Glad to have found you through Five Minute Friday. I so related to this -- the push and pull relationship I have with technology. The way I love the access possible, while also missing the good old days of my "dumb phone" that just dialed phone numbers. I love that picture of using technology for good, as a means of connecting with God -- not just the big broad world out there.