Friday, February 03, 2012

Five Minutes: Real

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Real.

Ready. Set. Write.

I seem to battle on a daily basis with doing what my sanctified soul knows I should do and what my sinful flesh wants to do. It's a constant struggle and has become more evident in recent days as I've asked God to convict me in areas of my life where I fall short in obedience to Him.

In those moments when I stress, I remind myself that admitting this - to my Lord, and to those I'm accountable to - shows I'm real. I live in a real world with real hurts, real pain, and real problems. I can put on the happy mask and tell someone "Oh, God is working everything out for your good in the end." or I can say "Yes, life stinks and there are days when I question what God is doing, but when I'm curled up in my fetal position longing for God to embrace me, I know He is there, working behind what I see to bring out the best for me. It's just sometimes painful to get there."

I can't be anything other than real. I fail at fake. Oh I can put on a happy face when needed and provide a resilient spirit, but over the long haul, the reality is...I'm a sinner saved by grace. And, you'll hear real words from me. Because real words are more comforting than standard phrases that leave you empty.

1 comment:

kensworth said...

very authentic - I can identify with you - we so need God to live each day and be willing to let Him hold us and mold us to be more like Him. Be Blessed!