Friday, February 17, 2012

Five Minutes: Delight

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Delight.

Ready. Set. Write.

What a happy word "Delight" is. When I say it, my eyebrows raise, my eyes get wider and I can't help but smile. I've described something as "so delightful" and that phrase just makes me happy.

The first thing that came to my mind besides the happy face I get from merely saying the word is the Scripture from Psalms, "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." That verse is a balm for a weary soul when God doesn't seem to be providing me those desires I so long for. It doesn't mean that as long as I read my Bible, pray and go to church, the Lord will give me whatever I want. It is a verse to remind me to deepen my "delight" (that happy wonderfulness) in the Lord. What happens when I do that is He molds my heart and desires to what is truly the best for me. It's as if my delight in Him creates this happy balloon around my heart that protects it from hurt, guards it from long-term disappointment and makes my heart glad.

You may say "that is impossible, you will still get hurt, you will still be disappointed." Indeed I will because I'm human and far from having the mind and heart of Christ. But I know the more I delight in Him, the more my heart is glad...is bouncy...is free from the selfish bondage of my wants. May my heart be glad in desiring exactly what He wants for my life.

4 comments:

Theresa Miller said...

free from selfish bondage...what a great way to describe delight. Great thoughts!

Anonymous said...

You are so right about the meaning of this verse! And I love the idea of a "bouncy heart."

Amy said...

This is so good. I've always struggled with that verse because I knew that God doesn't just grant all my wishes like a genie. Yet that freedom from bondage and that source of real delight - that I get!

♥ my diary♥ said...

hi friend...passing by to invite you im hosting a tuesday bloghop...hope you join...if you feel to...your welcome...loves soraya