Friday, November 04, 2011

Five Minutes: Remember

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Remember.

Ready. Set. Write.

I have been told I have a verbatim brain. I remember things in great detail and can associate dates based on the things that occured around those times. This either drives people insane or they are amazed at my abilities. It is confirmation to me that if I ever develop dementia or Alzheimers, someone needs to just shoot me because my mind will simply explode from its inability of use.

Sometimes I think my ability to remember can be a curse. As my blog title states, "Ruminations and Reflections," I can ruminate with the best of them, and think on something with as much detail as one who chews their food 30 times before swallowing. And, reflect, whoa boy, can I reflect. I fear I spend too much time reflecting that I depart this world for a while as I think back on the past. I'm not one who uses the phrase "remember the good ole days?" but I fondly embrace all the memories of my life and can get lost in that at times.

What an amazing brain we are given by Our Creator that allows us to store more data than the largest computer on the planet. I can recall the craziest things and have so much mindless data it's scary. Remembering is a blessing....especially in those times when God seems absent or life is dark. I simply remember those times when I walked that path before and realize that He really never left, but was merely working behind the scenes for my good. Those kinds of remembering are the sweetest of moments.

1 comment:

Lea Marie said...

I hear you. I am sure that my memory is not as vivid as yours, but I have been by the book on things and have gotten lost in thoughts (remembering) more than I would have liked to over the years. Sometimes our computers run on overdrive and sometimes we get lost in a memory ... God did do an incredible job at creating each of us with abilities such as this as well as the differences that make us each unique. It is a pleasure to meet and become a new follower of your blog through Five Minute Friday. Hugs & Blessings