Thursday, October 06, 2011

iDing

The first personal computer I used on the job was a Mac...to be specific, a Toaster Mac. It was revolutionary in 1984...and was the beginning of the era of making technology cool. Steve Jobs, founder of Apple and genius behind these Macintosh computers, died yesterday after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. The world has lost one of the greatest inventors, visionaries and entrepreneurs we've ever seen.

Though I'm not as "apple-fied" as some, I do own an iPod and found myself a bit misty as my smartphone dinged last night with the alert that he had passed. I've been in the technology industry for more than 20 years. Clearly, the "ding in the universe" that Jobs hoped to make has played a big part in my employment...and continued employment as technology is vital to our everyday living. I saw this in my Twitter feed last night..."My iPhone just told me that Steve Jobs passed away. Perhaps not since Gutenberg has someone's own invention announced their death." Indeed. As I watched the Today Show this morning and their memorializing of this passing of an icon, Tom Brokaw made a telling observation as only that journalistic giant can. (I heart Tom Brokaw if you couldn't tell). He said, in that steady voice of his, "When I was a kid, I was all about the jukebox....this is now my jukebox." And he held up his iPod. Yes, Steve, you did make a ding in the universe.

It seems the last few weeks have been ones of loss. People around me are losing friends and family and literally one day this week my news feed was filled with those asking for prayer regarding families that had suffered loss. Even I've been consumed with grieving the loss of our blog world's sweet Sara aka Gitz. As I was talking to my friend, Amy, last night we were discussing the passing of so many and the "changing of the guard." Who will take the places of these people in the world? People that are making a difference, that encouraged us...spiritually or just in life choices about our futures and careers. I reminded her we have to look in the mirror...it's us. But, boy, I don't know that I feel up to that challenge. We're following in the footsteps of some mighty "dingers" of the universe.

In 1993, the Wall Street Journal quoted Jobs, "Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me...going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful...that matters to me." He dinged and created one of the greatest computer brands in the world. He dinged and started an animation studio that has forever changed the movie screen. He dinged and we walk around with ear buds listening to our mobile jukeboxes. He dinged and we answer a phone that is a mini touch computer that serves as an additional appendage. For generations to come, our world will be changed by the ding of Steve Jobs.

No comments: