Friday, October 07, 2011

Five Minutes: Ordinary

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Ordinary.

Set the timer. Ready. Set. Write.

I've never seen myself as an ordinary person. Just about everything in my life is just the opposite, and I rather relish that part of me. I was a miracle baby born to parents who had waited 18 years for a baby. I have a chronic illness that I'm treated for, but definitely one for the medical books in its complexities. I've never been married at 46 years of age (ok, maybe not as uncommon these days), but I long for the companionship of the man God has for me.

Yet, in many ways, I guess I am ordinary. I'm far from famous, other than the six people who read my blog. The most famous thing about me is my presidential assassin relative. I've never been published though I'd love to be...other than an article in the Courier-Journal a few years ago. Most people of the world wouldn't know my name. People would say I'm an extrovert, but there are times when I think I'm all introvert. Much to the amazement of those that don't know me well, my life isn't as glamourous as it may appear. Most days I go thru life with just me and God. But my life appears phenomenally amazing because I savor all the little things. Little things truly make me happy.

The glory of being a unique is I have a story to tell unlike anyone else. And the glory of being ordinary is knowing my God is using me in ways that are not seen by the world...or sometimes even me. Ordinary sounds like such a vanilla word...but, really, there could be wonderful flavored sprinkles hidden in the ordinary of life.

No comments: