Friday, November 21, 2008

Woot, Woot!

I am a huge procrastinator when it comes to semi- and major purchases. I would rather struggle along with whatever I have currently than make an investment in something new. Call me cheap, but I prefer the moniker, "Frugal." Back in June when I purchased my new Boo-mobile, I agonized over the buy even though the car I was driving was draining me dry financially, and at the pump. There's just something about a major financial investment, no matter how big or small, that causes me to pause.

Unlike most of America, I still have a land line at my home. Call me old school (for those keeping score, I'm now Old School Frugal) but sometimes I just like having a phone at my residence that doesn't follow me wherever I roam. Plus, my internet provider is also my land line provider. But, the two cordless phones I have were either poorly functioning or dying. My answering machine/phone combo was the cheapest thing you could find at Radio Shack and didn't include Caller ID. My other phone was so old the battery barely lasted through 15 minutes of conversation. I seriously can't remember how old that phone was or when I got it, so it's definitely paid its dues.

I priced phones to replace both of my less-than-perfect phones and realized it would be upwards of $80 - $100 to get two handets and an answering machine. Even one good handset with answering machine was $50 or more. So, I limped along doing the best I could with what I had. They were doing the best they could do with what they had in them. Although knowing Caller ID was part of my home package, it bothered me I wasn't taking full advantage of that service.

Enter Woot.com. This glorious web site is one I check daily for their deal of the day. Their gig? They sell one item per day. That's it. They have a clever description about the product and a daily Wootcast (Podcast) that make visiting their site enjoyable. One day, my dreams came true and they were selling a Uniden DECT 6.0 Dual Handset Cordless Phone with Digital Answering Machine. The going price for this unit elsewhere would have been $80 or more, but on this particular day, I was able to snag it for $35 plus $5 shipping. My package arrived about 5-6 days later and I'm up and running full speed with my new phone system. After many months following Woot, this was my first purchase and I was very pleased.

In times like these, you need to find ways to pinch pennies anytime you can. Woot.com is definitely the place to do that, as long as you are patient. Check out their Shirt Woot site too for interesting and unique consumer-designed t-shirts. And, for all my fellow geekers out there, periodically Woot.com has a "Woot-off" where the item for sale is changed throughout the day. It's like Christmas!

All together now..."Woot, Woot!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. A couple of things.

First off, here's how you know I'm a "Rose's blog stalker." Whenever I click on your link and see that you have a new post, I get all excited like Christmas morning. Sad, I realize. Which I think means you need to blog more! :) Or else I need a life.

Secondly, I thought about you 10 minutes ago for this very reason. That's the amount of time it took our cordless phone to die after I removed it from the charger. It is 1.2 million years old--and I hate to spend a penny on a new one as long as it will limp by. I know you can relate. You told me about this website on Sunday, but I couldn't remember it...so thanks for the information and now I'm gonna see how little I can spend on a dinosaur with no bells and whistles that will. just. hold. a. charge. through. a. conversation.

Love to my peep.

Amy

Alisa said...

Rosie, you introduce me to the neatest things! I have passed this one along to friends. Thanks!