My friend, Jennifer, tagged me a couple of weeks ago and finally after a long stint away from my blog, I'm back to answer the challenge. For those of you who are still coming to my blog, thank you. It's been a busy few weeks with three friends of mine having babies and friends in from out of town. All good things, just keeps my focus off my blog. Now on to the tag...
When you read the directions, you'll realize why I've had to ponder my answers before starting this exercise...
Share what you were up to 10 years ago, things on your to-do list today, what you would do if you suddenly became a billionaire, 3 bad habits, 5 most recent jobs you've had, 5 random things we might not know about you, 5 top places on your “want to see or want to see again” list, and then finally tag 5 people.
10 Years Ago - 1998
I was ending a long employment with my first technology publishing company - The Cobb Group. Due to relocation, our office was closing and I opted for the severance package to stay in Louisville, as did 95% of my co-workers. This would be the first of many job changes. But, later in 98, I started working for TechRepublic under the same management team that founded The Cobb Group. I loved my job then and love my job now....working at yet another tech publishing company with many of my Cobbers and fellow TR co-workers. Life changes, yet remains the same.
Things on my To-Do List Today
I don't have a real solid to-do list...I like to stay fluid in my motion. But to recap my day, I've already been to the gym...check. And tonight I'm leading small group for our women's Bible study. My week ends with our Women's Retreat, which is shaping up to be an awesome event. I just found out I'm leading a small group for one of our sweet ladies who can't, so I'm looking forward to being able to bond with the ladies that providentially end up in my group. Prayer for the retreat needs to remain on the to-do list all week.
If I Suddenly Became a Billionaire
First thing I'd do is tithe off the money. Not to sound super spiritual, but never coming close to that much money before, I'd need to be disciplined to make sure the One who gave me that blessing got the first fruit. Second, I'd pay off any debt I had. Third, I'd donate to these charities:
Kosair Hospital - My grandmother was the seamtress there for years and many children have been blessed by their services, including Nathan McLean
Ethiopia IT - One of my friends is the co-founder and I love the vision for this organization. A big donation would trigger this charity to where it needs to go.
My Church - I'd pay off our current debt so we could actually build more space.
After that, I'd visit a financial investment expert to determine the best thing to do with the remaining money to take care of myself and also be free to take care of my family and friends.
Three Bad Habits
1. My love of chocolate - no matter how hard I try, I have to have a little bit of chocolate in my life
2. Learning to say no - I'm working on this one. I have this Type A personality that causes me to agree to doing things, even if I don't have the time or energy. I've gotten better at saying no and setting boundaries, but I could still improve
3. Staying up too late - I'm a night owl. Or I don't want to miss anything. In either case, shutting down to go to bed takes a while....and not because I don't fall asleep the moment my head hits the pillow. I'm like the proverbial dog with a sock that won't let go.
I'm sure my friends could list many more bad habits then I can even recall.
Five Most Recent Jobs That I've Had
1. Senior Marketing Associate, IT Business Edge
2. Account Executive - Insurance Sales, State Farm
3. Marketing Associate, KiZAN Technologies
4. Marketing Program Associate, Vobix
5. PR Manager, TechRepublic
I tell everyone that I really work for the CIA and can't disclose details of my job. Honestly, most people glaze over when I actually explain what I do for a living.
Five Random Things You Might Not Know About Me
1. I leave incredibly long voicemails. I've tried stopping, but have failed. There is something about having a captive audience that makes me want to talk.
2. I'm related to John Wilkes Booth and Jesse James. Don't mess with me...'nuff said
3. I've always wanted to host my own radio show. Whether as a DJ or call-in format, it doesn't matter. See #1.
4. I'd love to have a weekly column or write a book. Just to be able to focus entirely on writing would be exciting. Writing is so enjoyable to me, yet finding the time amidst my busy schedule is challenging.
5. I have a verbatim brain. I can recall events, dates, experiences, and tell you details that most people forgot the next day. Even random things I've learned....my Mom told me when she was teaching me to do laundry to never put fabric softener in the load of towels because it lowers the towels' absorbancy. I think she told me that one time and I've never forgotten it.
Five Places I Want to See, or Want to See Again
1. My husband at the end of my wedding aisle - I've never experienced the joy of marriage and although it's not in my near future, I do still dream about that day. The feeling of walking down that aisle to a man who loves God with all his heart and chose me to walk this life journey with is the moment of all the wedding hoopla I look forward to most. Moving on before I get stuck in Fantasyland.
2. My Mom, My Grandaddy and My Granny - They are all up in Heaven having a grand ole time and I look forward to the day I can see them again.
3. A Fashion Show during Fashion Week - On the lighter side, I've always been intrigued by fashion, even though I'm not a fashionista. I used to sketch and design clothes when I was young but gave up the idea of pursuing the career, yet it still fascinates me.
4. The Northern Lights - I've heard this is a breath-taking experience and since it only occurs during certain times makes the vision even more cherished
5. Southern California - I've been to northern California and it's nice, but I've heard it doesn't hold a candle to the southern region
And, here are the five to be tagged.....Katrina, Alisa, Amy, Jan, and the Browns....