Friday, December 28, 2007

You Can't Make This Stuff Up

A few years ago when I attended a high school reunion, many of my former classmates inquired about what I did for a living. My job isn't the easiest to explain to the non-techs of the world, so I try to keep it to "I do marketing in the technology industry." If I say much more, their eyes glaze over and then they go into a geek-infused trance. I've had maybe two people in my life that actually wanted me to explain in detail what I do. Most of the time, I throw in, "I work for the CIA, so if I told you, I'd have to kill you." Not too far-fetched of an idea as many technology companies serve as fronts for CIA agents...or at least they do in Hollywood.

When I answered my high school classmates' questions, one of them said, "Oh, I barely know how to open e-mail...and attach a file? I'm clueless." Sigh. Poor girl. It still amazes me that even in the age that we live in, so few people understand basic technology. My boss has coined it well by saying, "Stand on the roof of any building. Look in every direction. Almost everything you see is touched by technology." Pretty amazing.

I do enjoy, however, laughing at the expense of those less educated in the 21st century way of life. Last week, I was forwarded an e-mail from a friend who works at a local technology company that handles wireless management for corporations. Before you drop into a tech coma, let's just say they deal with cell phone management for large organizations. That's really all you need to know. The person who received this e-mail at their company handles customer service for various accounts. The customer communication I received was from an employee of a pretty well-known athletic shoe company. If you think about it, you can figure it out...just do it. Here is her opening paragraph for your enjoyment...

"I spoke to you back in September to order a Blackberry. I have had some major issues with my blackberry the last couple of months. The first blackberry that I received got stolen and I had to reorder another one. The second one I received and have had for a couple of months and I accidentally spilt coffee and it went into my phone. A friend told me to put it in the oven to dry it out. Well, let’s just say that did not work it actually ended up melting it. So, now I am back to square one."**

Yep. An actual e-mail. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place Blackberry on wire rack. Cook until either the phones dries out or melts. Contact your provider.

You can't make this stuff up.

**All names have been removed or not mentioned to protect the privacy and reputation of those involved.

1 comment: