Saturday, August 19, 2017

All in All Journaling Devotional: A Review

I was privileged to be a part of the launch team for Sophie Hudson's newest book, "All in All Journaling Devotional: Loving God Wherever You Are."  I was added to the team later in the process, so I've been working through the 100 days presented in this devotional in order to give you my complete and honest review.  This devotional came out on August 1, so you can get your own copy right now!

It's hard for me to simply write a review like I would normally do for a traditional book. I could say, "If you know a teenage or college-aged girl, go buy this for them right now!"  Or I could say, "If you are a teenage or college-aged girl, go buy this right now!"  Shoot, I could really say, "Everyone go buy this right now!" But, I'm going to summarize it in one of my favorite formats.  The Top 5 Reasons you need to buy this devotional, from the home office of B&H Publishing in Nashville, TN.  (That's who published this devotional...so you can keep up)

5.  The theology is sound - One of the things I look for in Christian books, especially those targeted to young souls, is the soundness of the theology.  Heaven knows I hear enough heresy to keep me on my toes, I don't want to recommend a book to tender girls who could be blown around by the wind.  Sophie is sound in her doctrine.  She hits that straight on in her own wonderful way.  Salvation is through grace alone, and not from works.  She doesn't dive deep into exegetical dissection, but she explains the Scriptures in an easy way that I believe the Lord meant it to be so we understand His grace and merciful gift of salvation.

4.  Sophie Hudson - Ok, so I'm not personal friends with Sophie, though I have to admit I fangirl quite often and might pee my pants if I ever met her, but she is the real deal.  There is nothing "put on" about her.  She has the southern humor and charm that makes reading her words feel like she's sitting across the table from you.  To add to that, Sophie spent years teaching high school English, and is now a mentor of sorts for girls at the high school where she taught.  Folks, she's on the front lines.  She knows first hand what this age group is dealing with on a daily basis.  You can tell that in the topics she covers.

3. You can do this with your daughter or a girl you mentor - I'm not the mother of a young daughter.  But if I were, I would buy two copies - one for me and one for her, and I'd suggest we go through this study together and talk about it together.  The daily devotions won't take more than 15 minutes or so, depending on how much you want to journal, so it shouldn't be tough for anyone to do.  It's 100 days, which, I'll tell you, go by fast!  And even though the target is for young girls, you'll grow in Christ too.  It seemed her lessons hit me right where I needed them even in my life as a bit (cough) older woman.  

2.  The topics covered are relevant - I applaud Sophie on presenting the challenges of social media and it's impact on these young girls.  She doesn't tell them to get off social media, which I appreciate, because, you know what, they won't.  But she does shoot very straight about the dangers that come from being too entangled in the world wide web.  Sophie presents very practical advice.  For example, if you struggle with posting things inappropriately on SnapChat, have your grandmother connected to your account and she'll see everything.  When you know your grandmother will see it, you'll think twice about what you post.  Technology isn't going away, and it does serve good purposes.  What's Instagram today will be another platform in five years to pull and tug at our young people.  Sophie really navigates those waters well.

1.  You have a young woman you just can't reach - Maybe your the Mom, or teacher, or mentor of a young girl in your life and she is going through a stage that no matter what you say to her, she won't listen.  For whatever reason, she's battling hearing the truth.  Sometimes, we don't learn to back away and pray like we've never prayed before, but we want to march right into that land mine and cause it to blow up and then we've created more division.  Let me give you some advice.  Buy this devotional.  Wrap it up in a beautiful package (or put it in a snappy gift bag, like I would because...I'm a better rapper than a wrapper), add a handwritten note to this young woman and give it to her.  Then walk away.  Start praying.  Let the words from His Word penetrate her heart through the vehicle Sophie has created.  Then, if God does some big stuff (which He's often likely to do in those areas we feel are long beyond anyone's help), let Sophie know.  Visit her blog or follow her on Twitter @boomama and give her an update.    I'm gonna tell you right now, there is nothing more that will bless her heart - and cause the tears to flow - than to hear that testimony.  

Jesus is our All in All and when we remember that, life always can be viewed in the right perspective.  

No comments: