Sunday, November 30, 2014

Peach Blueberry Pie

This year for Thanksgiving, one of the dishes I brought to the festivities was a Peach Blueberry Pie.  I don't cook extensively very often.  This is the plight of a single gal with a very busy schedule.  But, for the holiday, I was excited to try out this recipe that I had pinned months ago on Pinterest.  I think it turned out well and is easier than it looks.  Here's the recipe for you to try…

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
3 cups, sliced, peeled peaches (I used frozen, thawed completely)
1 cup fresh blueberries (I used frozen, thawed completely)
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches) (I used pre-made pie crust, found in the dairy section)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon 2% milk (I used fat-free milk)
Cinnamon Sugar

In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and allspice.  Add peaches and blueberries, tossing to coat.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Roll out one of the pastries and put into the pie pan.  Trim around the edges, leaving just a half inch from the top of the pie pan rim.  Add filling.  Dot with butter.

For the top of the pie, you can roll out the other 9-inch pastry and either create a lattice top on the pie, or keep the pastry intact as I did (see picture).  I personally like the top covered as it makes the pie more "cobbler-like" and keeps the juices in the pie, avoiding spillover.  If you choose my method, be sure to make four slits in the pie crust to provide breathing room.  After assembling whichever top you choose, seal the edges together and flute around the pie rim.  Brush the top of the pie with milk.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the top.  I used store-bought cinnamon sugar to avoid guessing on mixing the right combination.  

Bake 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly (if you used a lattice design).  Let cool and enjoy!

Using the frozen fruit makes these summer fruits come alive during the holiday season.  The flavor of peach and blueberry is really yummy and this can be whipped together in no time, making a homemade pie effortless.  

No comments: