Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Top Five Christmas Albums, CDs, EPs or However You Listen

The weather outside is frightful, and the holiday music is delightful.  So since I've no place to go (but work), here I go, here I go, here I go....with the top five Christmas music collections ever...in no particular order.

1.  Kenny and Dolly: A Christmas to Remember - This collection only has 9 songs but it is timeless.  One of the greatest songs ever "Once Upon a Christmas" was written by Dolly herself.  The grand duet talents of Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton (for those of you who were still lost on "who is Kenny and Dolly?"....sigh) are what this album is all about.  This collection also was the creation of an hour-long Christmas special that I get excited when it replays.  The scene of Kelly and Dolly as Mr and Mrs Claus singing "I Believe in Santa Claus" is priceless.  If you haven't listened to this album, or, better yet, seen the special, you haven't lived.

2.  When My Heart Finds Christmas (Harry Connick, Jr.) - I swoon at the very breath from Harry's lips, much less his vocals.  Le Sigh.  This, his first Christmas CD, is amazing.  Fourteen singles and so many to comment upon.  The title track is a touching song, and the soundtrack runs the gamut of genre.  "It Must Have Been Ole Santa Claus" includes my favorite chorus, "Happy Ho Ho Ho to You!" which I drive everyone crazy with during the holidays.  My Christmas ringtone is the song "I Pray on Christmas" which makes me want to dance down the French Quarter.  There may be no other richer version of "Ave Maria" than the one in this collection.  Brilliant and moving.  The final track is "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?"  Nothing, Harry, so I'm available.

3.  Rose of Bethlehem (Selah) - Selah is by far my favorite Christmas music group.  This Christmas CD stands tall among my choices during the holidays.  I have to admit there is a cover of "Once Upon A Christmas" featuring Dolly Parton that wins me over.  Another favorite is "Mystery" which is theologically rich in explaining the mystery of a Baby born to save the world.  The final track is the title track, "Rose of Bethlehem," and is a beautiful song explaining the True Rose of Bethlehem.

4.  Christmas (Michael Buble) - If I can't have Harry, I'll take Michael all day long.  This collection of 15 tunes are diverse and well done.  I can't say I have a favorite because his smooth voice always delivers a win.  Like Harry, he does a version of "Ave Maria" that is good, and almost (not quite) as good as Harry's.  Michael makes me swoon too.  I wish he'd do a Christmas tour in my area because as a live performer he is second to none.

5.  Duck the Halls (Duck Dynasty Family) - This is the first Christmas season the Robertson Family Christmas album has been around...and it's already made my top five list.  Where to begin?  There are laughter and tears while listening to the entire collection.  The duet of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" between Jase and his wife, Missy, is precious.  I already love Jase, but love him more when he playfully flirts with his wife in this duet.  Missy sings a lot on this album and has a beautiful voice.  It's hard to not love all the songs that feature Si.  I love Si.  "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" and his recitation of a "Duckified" "Twas the Night Before Christmas" make me laugh every time.  And like every episode of Duck Dynasty ends with prayer, so does this CD...as Phil leads in prayer pointing us all to the true meaning of Christmas...Jesus.  

No comments: