Friday, October 26, 2012

Five Minutes: Voice

Each week Gypsy Mama chooses a word to write about for five minutes. No editing, stream of consciousness. Today's word is: Voice.

Ready. Set. Write.


In today's society, we live in email and texts.  Rarely in business communication are voices heard.  Although the written word has been cherished for ages, especially when drafted on fine parchment with beautiful handwriting, today's written word has definitely taken a beating.  Shortened acronyms to communicate common words, misspellings, bad grammar.  Yet, we rely on this mode of communication a lot...A LOT.  Even as I write this entry, I realize how many people read this that have most likely never heard my voice.  

A voice can reflect so much about a person.  When you know them well, you immediately know their mood when they open their mouth.  I work with a Sales Rep in southern California and when she calls me she always knows whether I'm having a bad day or good day.  She could email me all day long and not know that as I hide behind the mask of email communication and never know my temperament.   There is something to be said for voice-to-voice communication.

Now with the technology of Skype and Facetime, we can communicate voice-to-face anywhere there is an internet connection.  Even with this technology, though, I long for people to continue to use the written word well and let their personalities and moods shine through.  My friends will tell me that my blog reads like I talk.  I'm happy when I hear that, because that is my ultimate goal.  

There is One Voice I long to hear.  The voice of Jesus when I one day bow at His Feet and hear Him hopefully say "Well done, my good and faithful servant."  

2 comments:

Denise said...

Enjoyed this.

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Amen... I love this post - for many reasons today! First, because that is the goal - to write as I 'talk'... I want my readers to feel like friends - to be friends... who can HEAR my words and my heart! Secondly - as the Mom of a teen... all this texting and tweeting is so quick to be misunderstood because the tone and fluctuation can not be truly heard with all the abbreviations, acronyms, etc. It cracks me up that my daughter can know when a friend is mad simply by whether or not they are using punctuation while texting?

Voice to Voice... Face to Face... Heart to Heart!
~Karrilee~