Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Runaway Bride

On any given weekend, you can tune into one of a variety of cable channels and catch a viewing of the romantic comedy, Runaway Bride. The story is of Maggie Carpenter, played by Julia Roberts, who has a difficult time finishing a wedding ceremony...her own. Ike Graham, played by Richard Gere, is a reporter in need of a career-saving article and decides to do an in-depth look at this phenomenon known as "the runaway bride." Whilst visiting her little hometown of Hale, Maryland, he interviews all of her past beaus and the bride herself. As any romantic comedy aficionado can predict, Ike falls for said runaway bride. Ike figures he can keep her from running if she just keeps her eye on him.

During the ceremony, Maggie is heading down the aisle. All is good. Her eyes are locked on her groom. Then, flash, a camera flash goes off and she's distracted. One little distraction and she hesitates, then runs out of the church making Ike her latest victim. I won't tell you how the movie ends in case you haven't seen it, but it's definitely worth watching.

As a child of God, I am so easily distracted from Him. Ooo, shiny object! Oooo, puppy! Ooo, squirrel! Ooo, latest book to read! Ooo, my phone is chiming for my attention! Ooo, Starbucks! Ooo, my need to socialize! Ooo, the latest television show! One flash of something else and my focus on Him quickly changes to that "something else." You could say I am the Runaway Bride. Oh, those that know me best know that when the day comes I marry (and I hopefully say 'when', not 'if'!) I'll be the most committed bride on the planet because I have waited and prayed so long for the man God has for me. But in my spiritual life, sadly, I am the Runaway Bride.

I'm the bride of Christ, part of His Church, and He is my Bridegroom. I should long to keep my eyes fixed on Him, never wavering, much like I dream of keeping my eyes on that future husband I long to meet at the end of the wedding aisle. Like many girls, I dream of that day. And, I can't imagine taking my eyes off the man who loves me enough to die for me and has pursued me to be his very own. But, wait, isn't that what Christ did for me? He died for me. He pursued me to be His very own. Oh, that my heart would be as devoted to Christ as it is to my future husband.

I should meditate more on this passage in Hebrews, "Keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured the cross and despised the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of God's Throne."

He did more than slay dragons for me, or fight tigers for me. He did more than buy a diamond ring to place on my left hand. He gave His Life for me. Shed His Blood for me. And His Righteousness covers my sin so I am white as snow...adorned like a beautiful bride. May the flashes of life never distract me from the One who loves me so.

1 comment:

Kindra Leomiti said...

So far, Runaway Bride is one of the highest grossing wedding films. It's very nice! Anyway, your words have struck me deeply. You're such an inspirational person, Rossie. You have a strong faith. =)